Friday 7 February 2014

An Event That Has Shaped My Life

"And the 1st winner of Grand Prix Marching Band XXIV for school division is Putri Santa Ursula Marching Brass"

That sentence marks one of the best moments in my life. It is when my team won the national-scaled marching band competition back then in 2008. I joined my school marching brand CCA when I was in junior high school. The name of our team is Putri Santa Ursula Marching Brass (PSUMB for short). PSUMB is the toughest CCA in my junior high school. It requires high level of discipline, commitment, and hard work. In my time, we had two practice sessions every week, each 4 hours. When we joined competition, in school period, we also had 2 days training center during weekend, each about 8 hours. After school period, means, during holiday, we had the 8 hours training center everyday for 2 weeks.

I choose this event as the event that has shaped my life because this event taught me about team work, not only how to compromise with others, but also the importance of every single member in our team in order to successfully create a great performance. Beside that, this event also taught me that hard work and discipline, although seems hard, will pay you off. The first time I heard about the training center schedule, I thought it was impossible for us to do it because we still had our school works and other works. But in the end, we successfully went through the training center together and  even better, won the competition.

Because of this experience, I learn about importance of team work, hard work, and discipline and I have been trying to apply this in my life until now.

Here is the link of my team performance : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcK04xcyRJs . Feel free to watch :).

P.S. : I was in the pit percussion.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Adella,

    Congratulations on your team's victory! I regret not participating in more CCAs in secondary school :(

    Side note:

    That sentence marks one of the best moments in my life. -> Perhaps "This sentence" might be more appropriate since the sentence is just before the phrase in quotes.

    It is when my team won the national-scaled -> I think its "was"

    PSUMB is the most though CCA in my junior high school -> I think you meant toughest?

    Cheers! Enjoy your weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adella,
    Congratulations on winning the competition too. I can see that you have learnt a lot from this experience. On top of what Darren had spotted, I also saw a few mistakes in you post.

    "That sentence marked (marks) one of the best moments in my life."
    "The name of our team was (is)..."
    "I chose (choose) this event"
    " Hard work... will pay (pay you) off"
    " I learnt (learn) about"

    Best regards,
    Alvin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adella!

    I was in my secondary school's Chinese Orchestra as well. I know how great it feels to be part of the whole team, and achieving great heights together! The feeling is so great. Although we are just a small part. Even if those are just a small supporting part. But, every sections are as important!

    Another important lesson I have learnt, would be time management. Despite the long practice hours, there are still lots of school work to be completed.

    Smiles,
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete